Discovery, Uber and Dis-Chem partner to deliver flu vaccines
A one-day-only offer that conveniently delivers flu vaccines to doorsteps in major centres for as little as R100 for five vaccines administered at one location.
For a second year in a row, Discovery has partnered with Uber, to bring flu vaccines to selected areas of Johannesburg, Pretoria, Port Elizabeth, Durban and Cape Town. You can order a flu vaccine and have it delivered to your doorstep for only R100 using the Uber app on your smartphone.
Vaccination against flu infection can protect you and your family and has been proven to be the most effective way of preventing infection and reducing hospital admissions related to flu complications.
“We want to make it easy for everyone to take precautions against flu. Each year, many suffer complications of flu resulting in lost days of work and school. By following good hygiene practice, eating a balanced diet and by having a flu vaccination, it is possible to minimise the risk of flu related complications that could lead to hospitalisation,” says the Head of the Clinical Policy Unit at Discovery Health, Dr Noluthando Nematswerani.
How it works
- From 10:00 to 15:00 on Friday, 22 April 2016 only, you will be able to request a flu vaccination to your doorstep using Uber.
- Not yet an Uber user? You can download the Uber app and sign up as a user
- All you have to do is open the Uber app and select the UberHEALTH icon that will be visible on 22 April 2016 only. This will ensure that only R100 is billed to your credit card linked to your Uber account for the nurse’s drive to you.
- Then, set your pickup location, and request a ride.
- Within minutes, a qualified Dis-Chem accredited nurse will arrive to your location, ready to administer flu vaccines. The nurse can administer up to five flu vaccines per visit at no extra cost.
- While the flu vaccination will be free, R100 will be charged directly to your Uber account to cover the cost of the nurse coming to you.
Terms and conditions
- Activation will last for one day only – 22 April 2016
- Flu shots will only be available in selected areas of Johannesburg, Pretoria, Port Elizabeth, Cape Town and Durban
- You must be an Uber user to request your flu shot on demand.
- You must be 18 years or older
- Nurses can administer up to five individual vaccinations at one visit
Based on interest in a similar initiative in 2015, Discovery has increased the number of vaccines available but expects the demand to be high. Everyone making use of this initiative will be accommodated between 10:00 and 15:00 on 22 April 2016. Discovery and Uber have asked that if the Uber app is busy, to please be patient and keep trying. Those new to Uber can sign up at www.uber.com and enter the promotion code UBERHEALTHSA to enjoy a first trip of up to R150 free before 22 April 2016.
Discovery Vitality rewards its members for getting vaccinated
Vitality members will earn 1 000 Vitality points for having a flu vaccination.
For media related queries please contact:
Thulaganyo Khensani Mthombeni
Tel: 071 886 9188
About Discovery Limited
Discovery Limited is a South African-founded financial services organisation that operates in the healthcare, life assurance, short-term insurance, savings and investment products and wellness markets. Founded in 1992, Discovery was guided by a clear core purpose – to make people healthier and to enhance and protect their lives. Underpinning this core purpose is the belief that through innovation, Discovery can be a powerful market disruptor.
The company, with headquarters in Johannesburg, South Africa, has expanded its operations globally and currently serves over 4.4 million clients across South Africa, the United Kingdom, the United States, China, Singapore and Australia. Discovery recently announced an intent to partner with Generali, a leading insurer in Europe, and has partnered John Hancock in the US. These new partnerships will bring Discovery’s shared-value business model to protection industries in Europe and the US.
Vitality, Discovery’s wellness programme, is the world’s largest scientific, incentive-based wellness solution for individuals and corporates. The global Vitality membership base now exceeds three million lives in five markets.
Discovery is an authorised financial services provider and trades under the code “DSY” on the Johannesburg Securities Exchange.
Follow us on Twitter @Discovery_SA