Press release -
Two municipalities in the Stockholm region sell land to Microsoft
The two municipalities Gävle and Sandviken in the Stockholm region have decided to sell a total of 130 hectares of land to Microsoft for SEK 269 million, thereby creating conditions for a major international investment.
The Stockholm region is attractive for companies looking for a reliable, safe and sustainable environment. Gävle-Sandviken is one of Sweden’s strongest industrial and export regions, with advantages such as availability of labor, industrial land, fossil-free energy production and proximity to Stockholm and Arlanda Airport. In total, the two municipalities have agreed to sell 130 hectares of land, which amount to approximately 260 football fields.
- Microsoft's interest in buying industrial land in two neighboring municipalities in the Stockholm Region confirms our attractiveness and global competitiveness, says Anna Gissler, acting CEO of Stockholm Business Region.
- It is very exciting that a company like Microsoft, with such magnitude in the digital infrastructure, is interested in large land areas in our region. Our goal is to ensure that this becomes one of the region's largest industrial establishments, says Patrik Stenvard (M), Chairman of the municipal council in Gävle.
- To have world-leading companies showing interest in our region increases our attractiveness and offers exciting development opportunities. The deal can strengthen Gävle-Sandviken as a modern industrial region with yet another international company, says Peter Kärnström (S), Chairman of the municipal council in Sandviken.
Efforts to support and facilitate the site selection process and acquisition of land in Gävle and Sandviken has been a close collaboration between Invest Stockholm, Invest in Gävleborg, Business Sweden as well as local partners in Gävle and Sandviken.
- Together with Microsoft and our partners we are now focusing on building and creating the conditions needed to ensure the successful completion of this project, says Tora Holm, business developer at Invest Stockholm.
For additional information please contact:
Anna Gissler, Acting CEO, Stockholm Business Region, +46 70 472 80 51
Patrik Stenvard (M), Chairman of the municipal council in Gävle, +46 70 307 44 62
Peter Kärnström (S), Chairman of the municipal council in Sandviken, +46 70 370 93 32
- Economy, Finance
- foreign direct investments
- stockholm region
- stockholm business alliance
- invest stockholm
About Invest Stockholm
Invest Stockholm is the official investment promotion agency of Stockholm. We work with the marketing and development of the Stockholm region as a business destination under the brand Stockholm – The Capital of Scandinavia. Invest Stockholm is a subsidiary of Stockholm Business Region, owned by the city of Stockholm.