Spectacular fourth time running: Berghs awarded “School of the Year” in Cannes
Cannes 21st June, 2017
For the fourth consecutive year, Berghs School of Communication in Sweden has been awarded “School of the Year” in AKQA’s Future Lions in Cannes. The school had the most student groups of all the 100 finalists and is thereby noted as having the highest and most even level of quality and innovation among the participating schools. All in all, 2,100 students from more than 400 schools submitted. This is Berghs’ sixth award since the contest was first arranged in 2005.
The price ceremony is held today at 4 pm in The Debussy Theatre, in Cannes.
“The students from Berghs show a great understanding of the future of communication. This is the fourth consecutive year the school wins this award, which proves that their approach towards building young talent is a successful one.”
- Richard Waterworth, Head of marketing EMEA, Youtube at Google
Each year, the best of the communications industry meets to compete in what is the world’s largest advertising festival, Cannes Lions. AKQA:’s Future Lions invites students from the world’s leading communications schools to create innovative communication using new technology and implementing new ideas: “Solve a problem in a way which was not possible three years ago”.
Each entry is judged anonymously by a jury of industry experts, including representatives from Google. The jury members do not know which students or schools are behind each entry.
The 100 most innovative entries make it to the final and the school with the most student groups in the final is noted as having the highest and most stable level of quality and is therefore awarded “School of the Year". This year, more than 2,100 students, from 64 countries submitted entries. Berghs has been awarded the title four years in a row, and six times in all, since the contest was first arranged in 2005.
“For one institution to win School of the Year four times back-to-back is a remarkable achievement. Berghs is an outstanding school which produces diverse and captivating creativity, year on year. To win Future Lions School of the Year six times is an exceptional achievement. One that may not be equaled.”
- Ian Wharton, Creative Director på AKQA Group
During the past year, Berghs has focused further on developing the students’ ability to work across different disciplines, which probably contributes to the high, innovative level of their entries. Also, Berghs has developed several new programs within the school’s concept:
- Berghs Studio: a creative studio where we connect the agency side, clients and young communicators to enable new opportunities for all three to prosper and develop.
- Berghs Upgrade: intensive 12-week course to enable you to change your title on your CV and make a career shift – in the midst of your career.
- International collaboration: We have created a new educational program together with the London based consultants The Future Laboratory.
- Berghs Advanced: an intense study-abroad semester, full-time on-site in Stockholm, that gives international students a set of professional communication tools before starting start their careers.
- A day like this I am reminded of the outcome of the continuous development work which is carried out at Berghs, but above all we are incredibly proud of our students who deliver top class ideas and innovations year after year, says Camilla Wallander, CEO at Berghs School of Communication.
The ten groups of students who were shortlisted in 2017 and thereby ensured the title “School of The Year” are:
Teodor Hässler, Nicklas Silfverhjelm
UPS By The Way
Teodor Hässler, Peder Renvall, Charlotte Illemann, Simon Mikkelsson Nolin
Ida Carstens, Mårten Huzell, Marcus Lundwall
Anna Salonen, Edvin Thorbjörnsson, David Lindh, Hanna Lundberg, Alice Kruger
Petter Swanberg, Simon Lublin, Amanda Rönn
Deal With It
Petter Swanberg, Simon Lublin, Martin Noreby
Gustaf Haffling, Kevin Krooks
Marcus Lundwall, Oscar Tiberg, Daniel Berg, Jonathan Elmblad
Check for Values
Jessica Stensell, Sofia Wennström
Eveliina Koskela, Filippa Keerberg, Gaby Backman, Emelie Svensson
Camilla Wallander, CEO Berghs School of Communication: +46-73 747 00 21
Christopher Waldekrantz, Creative Director Berghs School of Communication: +46-70 962 91 80
Few schools combine, as Berghs does, all major commercial communication disciplines under one roof. We have programs in advertising, graphic design, PR, interactive communications, planning, event marketing, account management, photography and much more. What’s more, we educate both creatives and strategists – and students work together across all disciplines.
This integrative approach has been one of the cornerstones since the school was founded in 1941. It allows leading communicators and brand-builders to meet in our classrooms, and interact directly with instructors and students. This line of action, repeated over the years, has transformed our school into a unique forum for creative talents to meet and collaborate on exciting projects.