Finnair's Asian traffic continues to grow
Finnair's Asian traffic grew 18.1% compared to October of the previous year. Number of passengers carried on Finnair's Asian flights in October was 124 289, which is 18.1% more than a year ago. Finnair increased its capacity and succeeded to fill the aircraft in a quiet market situation, but due to the world's financial crisis the amount of business travel decreased. Compared to last year Finnair has opened a new Asian destinations, Soul, in June.
Finnair traffic altogether increased by 11.7% in October, while the capacity was up by 9.2%, resulting in a passenger load factor of 78.2% or 1.7 points higher than last year. Finnair transported altogether 751 916 passengers, which is 4.8% more than a year ago.
Finnair scheduled traffic increased by 12.6% compared to October last year. Number of passengers carried on scheduled flights was 630 908, which is 3.7% more than in 2007. Passenger load factor in scheduled passenger traffic was 76.8%, 1.9 percentage points higher than last year. RPKs in European traffic increased by 5.9% and passenger load factor increased by 1.1 percentage points to 68.2%.
Leisure flights' passenger load factor increased by 1.0 percentage points to 84.2% compared to the previous year.
Arrival punctuality of Finnair flights was 85.4%, which is 3.0 percentage points higher than in October 2007. Arrival punctuality of scheduled flights went up 3.0 points and was 87.1%
- In scheduled traffic (international + domestic) revenue passenger kilometres increased by 12.6%. The change in capacity was 9.8%. Passenger load factor was 76.8%, 1.9 percentage points higher than last year.
- In scheduled international traffic, total number of passengers was up by 8.8%. Capacity in ASKs was 11.4%, while RPKs increased by 13.8%.
q In European scheduled traffic, ASKs increased by 4.1%, and as RPKs increased by 5.9%, the passenger load factor was 68.2%, up 1.1 points from previous year.
q In North Atlantic scheduled traffic, capacity increased by 20.0%. Change in RPKs was 20.1%, and passenger load factor for was 91.8%, 0.1 points higher than previous year.
q In Asian scheduled traffic, capacity increase was 16.2%. The passenger traffic was up by 18.1%. Passenger load factor was 82.9%, 1.3 percentage points up.
- Domestic scheduled traffic decreased by 9.6% on a capacity decrease of 13.8%. Passenger load factor increased by 2.8 percentage points to 59.5%.
- ASKs for leisure traffic increased in October by 6.8%, and RPKs increased by 8.0%, resulting in a passenger load factor of 84.2%, 1.0 points higher than last year.
- Cargo traffic decreased by 4.5% in terms of cargo tonnes carried. Decrease in scheduled traffic was 2.7%. Increase in Asian traffic was 1.1%. Volume in European traffic decreased by 17.4%. In North-Atlantic traffic cargo volume increased by 9.6%. Cargo traffic carried on chartered cargo flights decreased by 58.9%. The cargo load factor in the Far Eastern traffic was 69.4% and in the North Atlantic traffic 76.1%.
Full traffic performance data available at
Mr. Christer Haglund, SVP Corporate Communications, tel. +358 9 818 4007
Mr. Taneli Hassinen, VP Financial Communications and Investor Relations, tel. +358 9 818 4976
Mr. Petteri Kostermaa, VP Traffic Planning, tel. +358 9818 8504
Mr. Timo Riihimäki, Vice President, Cargo, tel. +358 9 818 5487