Support for the Nordic climate proposal doubles
Nordic businesses and cities have called on the EU and its Member States to align with the Paris Agreement by setting and agreeing new, ambitious climate targets. The signatories of the proposal urged EU leaders to:
- Set a target for achieving net-zero emissions at the latest by 2050 or earlier taking the IPCC findings into account.
- Based on the targets, agree on a binding carbon budget for the remaining GHG emissions.
- Revise and align the 2030 and 2040 targets with the net-zero target.
The recent IPCC report indicates that global warming of 2 degrees Celsius would be too dangerous and that we should not exceed 1.5 degrees Celsius. The results confirm that it is even more important than previously thought to set and agree ambitious targets.
This has also been reflected in the number of signatories, which has doubled since the summer. There are currently 62 signatories. On 21 November, the Confederation of Finnish Industries, representing about 15,300 companies, joined the supporters. The signatories welcomed the Confederation of Finnish Industries on board and encouraged other business associations, companies and cities to join.
- Jouni Keronen, Executive Director, Climate Leadership Coalition, jouni.keronen(at)clc.fi +358504534881
- Nina Ekelund, Executive Director, Haga Initiative, nina.ekelund(at)hagainitiativet.se +46735022464
- Jarl Krausing, International Director, CONCITO, jk(at)concito.dk +4529896600
- Jon Evang, Communications Manager, Zero Emission Resource Organisation, jon.evang(at)zero.no +4793401382
Hagainitiativet består av företag från olika branscher som verkar för ett lönsamt näringsliv utan klimatpåverkan. I nätverket ingår Nouryon, Axfood, Coca-Cola European Partners, Green Cargo, Folksam, Stockholm Exergi, JM, Lantmännen, Löfbergs, McDonald's Sverige, HKScan Sweden, Preem, Siemens, Stena Recycling samt Sveaskog.