Press release -
World’s first cognitive intelligence TV, Sony BRAVIA XR A90J, to go on sale in Europe in March
— Pre-orders open for Sony’s best ever 4K HDR OLED TV. The A90J is powered by the revolutionary Cognitive Processor XR™ for unparalleled contrast with extreme brightness and pure blacks –
Sony has announced the European launch window for its innovative BRAVIA XR MASTER Series A90J 4K HDR OLED televisions. The highly anticipated world’s first cognitive intelligence TV[i] in now available to pre-order in select countries in Europe with deliveries expected in late March. The A90J is the flagship OLED model of the new BRAVIA XR series that uses a completely new processing method going beyond conventional AI, designed to replicate the ways humans see and hear.
When we see objects, we unconsciously focus on certain points. Cognitive Processor XR™, powered by cognitive intelligence, divides the screen into numerous zones and detects where the ‘focal point’ is in the picture. While conventional Artificial Intelligence (AI) can only detect and analyse picture elements like colour, contrast and detail individually, the new Cognitive Processor XR can cross-analyse an array of elements at once, just as our brains do. By doing so, all elements are adjusted in conjunction with each other for best final outcome, so everything in the scene is synchronised and lifelike – something that conventional AI cannot achieve.
Cognitive Processor XR can also analyse sound position in the signal so the sound matches precisely with what’s on the screen. In addition, it upconverts any sound to 3D surround sound, to deliver supreme realism with an immersive soundscape. It learns, analyses and understands unprecedented amounts of data and intelligently optimises every pixel, frame and scene for the most lifelike picture and sound Sony has ever delivered.
BRAVIA XR MASTER Series A90J 4K HDR OLED TVs feature the exclusive BRAVIA CORE service. Pre-loaded on all new BRAVIA XR models, users can enjoy a selection of the latest SPE premium and classic titles and the largest IMAX Enhanced collection. BRAVIA CORE is the first in the industry to feature Pure Stream™ technology, achieving near lossless UHD BD equivalent quality with streaming up to 80 Mbps.
Pricing and availability
The BRAVIA XR MASTER Series A90J 4K HDR OLED TVs in 65” and 55” are available to pre-order now in select European countries, with the 83” to follow later this year. For more information, please check your local Sony site at www.sony.eu.
- Cognitive Processor XR understands how humans see and hear, providing a revolutionary experience that completely immerses viewers in their favourite content
- XR OLED Contrast adjusts brightness for higher peaks in glare and deeper blacks in shadow while XR Triluminos Pro enables a wider palette to reproduce each colour with the subtle differences seen in the real world
- XR 4K Upscaling technology upscales 2K signals close to true 4K quality for incredibly real and detailed pictures
- XR Motion Clarity technology controls moving images precisely to minimise blur so that pictures remain true with less loss in brightness during high speed scenes
- BRAVIA CORE™[ii]: In collaboration with Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE), BRAVIA CORE™ is where entertainment meets technology and was developed to add value and showcase unique Sony experiences. Pre-loaded on all new BRAVIA XR models, users can enjoy a selection of the latest SPE premium and classic titles[iii] and the largest IMAX Enhanced collection. BRAVIA CORE is the first in the industry to feature Pure Stream™ technology, achieving near lossless UHD BD equivalent quality with streaming up to 80 Mbps[iv]. Learn more about this collaboration here: https://www.sony.net/bravia-core
- Quick access to an array of content and services with Google TV[v]
- Easy connectivity to most devices, including Apple® AirPlay® 2 and HomeKit™[vi]
- Works with Alexa and Google Assistant
- Netflix Calibrated Mode offers studio-quality Netflix content, and IMAX® Enhanced™ delivers IMAX remastered picture and immersive audio by DTS[vii]
- Calman® Ready offers advanced calibration capabilities and the ability to fine-tune adjustments simply not possible through conventional picture settings
- HDMI 2.1 feature compatibility, including 4K 120fps, Variable Refresh Rate (VRR)[viii], Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM)[ix] and eARC
- Improved Acoustic Surface Audio+ technology delivers more accurate sound positioning and cinematic surround sound, providing pictures and sound in perfect harmony
- Support for Dolby Vision® HDR and Dolby Atmos® immersive audio will transform entertainment with ultra-vivid picture quality and incredible moving sound[x]
- Ambient Optimization optimises picture and sound quality in any environment
- Two-way stand[xi] provides different stand position options, including a hero position to eliminate distractions and a sound bar position to elevate the TV and integrate a soundbar system
- Minimalist one slate design with Seamless Edge[xii] bezel embraces the screen in a single pane of glass that’s naturally elegant and keeps viewers focused on the picture without distraction
- Hands-free voice search works alongside Google Assistant to provide a smarter viewing experience
[i]Including a processor that cross-analyses multiple picture elements combined with focal points; recreating human perspective. As of December 2020 no other brand has specifically claimed such cognitive intelligence for their TV processor. Verified by Strategy Analytics.
[ii]Countries and availability to be confirmed.
[iii] Number and selection of titles differ by model and subject to change.
[iv]The purchase price of an eligible TV includes a 24 month subscription to the BRAVIA CORE™ service. For more details on terms and conditions applying to this BRAVIA CORE™ access program, see https://www.sony.net/bravia-core. BRAVIA CORE features Pure Stream™ which offers streaming between 30 Mbps - 80 Mbps. To access Pure Stream™ at 30 Mbps, you must have a minimum internet speed of 43 Mbps. To access highest quality Pure Stream™ available at 80 Mbps you must have a minimum internet speed of 115 Mbps. BRAVIA CORE is not responsible for network restrictions or available bandwidth. Network service provider restrictions and terms may apply. Available movies subject to change.
[v] Google TV integrated services are subject to terms and conditions and may change or terminate without notice.
[vi] Apple® AirPlay® 2 and HomeKit™ features will be available on FY19 models ZF9, AF9, ZG9, AG9, XG95, XG85 (85", 75", 65" and 55") / FY20 models ZH8, A9, A8, XH95, XH90 / FY21 models Z9J, A90J, A80J, X95J, X90J, X85J, X81J/X80J. AirPlay 2 and HomeKit features require an iOS device running iOS 12.3 or later or a Mac running macOS 10.14.5. Apple, AirPlay, HomeKit, iPhone, iPad, Mac, and macOS are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
[vii] Netflix streaming membership required. 4K Ultra HD availability subject to your Netflix subscription plan, internet service, device capabilities, and content availability. www.netflix.com/termsofuse
[viii] VRR requires firmware update.
[ix] ALLM requires firmware update.
[x] Consumers can enjoy movies and TV shows in Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos from compatible streaming services such as Netflix through the TV’s native streaming apps or via a compatible streaming media player connected to the TV via HDMI. Requires HDMI® cables sold separately.
[xi] 83” features a three-position stand
[xii]Seamless Edge for 65” and 55” models only. 83” model features an aluminium bezel.
- Business enterprise, General
About Sony Corporation
Sony Corporation is a creative entertainment company with a solid foundation of technology. From game and network services to music, pictures, electronics, image sensors and financial services - Sony's purpose is to fill the world with emotion through the power of creativity and technology. For more information, visit: http://www.sony.net/