Press release -
New phone app for Metroshuttle passengers
Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM) has launched a new smart phone app making it easier than ever to jump on-or-off the city centre’s popular Metroshuttle buses.
The ‘next stop alert’ application has been produced by TfGM for Android smart phones and can be downloaded free of charge by visiting http://bit.ly/RpfMik.
People using the mobile application on their phone in the city centre will be directed to their nearest running Metroshuttle via an interactive map.
Once the passenger has boarded, the map will keep them informed of when stops are approaching on their route using innovative wireless mapping technology.
The ‘next stop alert’ will initially be available until March 2013 as part of a trial run, with continued availability of the app dependent on customer feedback.
Susan Wildman, TfGM’s Director of Communications and Customer Services, said: “We are keen to capitalise on the rise in popularity of mobile technology to help passengers make their way around and this new smart phone device is just one example of the ways we can do that.
“The ‘next stop alert’ Metroshuttle application has also been set up with city visitors and tourists in mind, as it will make getting around Manchester and seeing the city’s many attractions even easier.
“It is part of a wider strategy towards ‘on the move’ information by putting the latest train, bus and Metrolink tram news in the palm of our passengers’ hands.”
Have you downloaded the app? Is it useful? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your feedback.
Media contact: Joel Sawyer on 0161 244 1055 or email email@example.com
Notes to Editors
1. Transport for Greater Manchester is an executive body of the Greater Manchester Combined Authority.
2. The Transport for Greater Manchester Committee is a Joint Committee of the Greater Manchester Combined Authority and the ten district authorities of Greater Manchester, and advises on transport policy.
3. Transport policies that affect the ten districts of Greater Manchester are set by the Combined Authority.
4. To find out more about Transport for Greater Manchester’s recent work, please see our Annual Report at www.tfgm.com/annualreport.
5. Three screenshots of the app are attached