Press release -
HM Revenue & Customs: Free agent toolkits launched today
Six free toolkits to help agents avoid common errors when filing clients’ returns for 2009/10 were published today by HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC).
The toolkits which are downloadable from http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/agents/prereturn-support-agents.htm cover:
· Capital Gains Tax for land and buildings
· Marginal Small Companies’ relief
· Private and Personal expenditure (Income Tax Self Assessment)
· Trust and Estates
· Capital Gains Tax for trust and estates (supplement)
· Capital Allowances for plant and machinery
Brian Redford, head of HMRC’s Business Engagement Team, said:
“The toolkits are free and easy to use. Agents do not have to use them but because they are designed with the help of the agent community they are packed with helpful information including checklists, links to online guidance and examples of frequent errors and how to avoid them.
“The toolkits provide evidence of good working practice and reasonable care and will help agents ensure that tax returns are completed correctly from the beginning - therefore minimising potential error and possible investigation.”
HMRC worked closely with agents and the accountancy and tax professional bodies in developing the toolkits, which were pilot tested by around 600 accountancy firms, tax practitioners and solicitors during the course of last year.
The toolkits are part of a wider HMRC approach to improving tax compliance which is increasingly focused on help and support to ensure that returns are correct. There is a dedicated section on the HMRC website which holds information, guidance and news specifically for agents at www.hmrc.gov.uk/agents/news.htm
Note for editors
1. Toolkits are available on capital gains tax for Land and buildings, personal and private expenditure, Trusts and Estates, capital gains tax for Trust and Estates, marginal small company relief and capital allowances for plant machinery.
Issued by HM Revenue & Customs Press Office
Press enquiries only please contact:
Phone: For enquiries please contact the above department
- hm revenue