Govia Thameslink Railway (GTR) is delighted to announce the completion of a number of upgrade projects at stations across the network to improve access for all passengers.
As part of the rail operator’s ‘Minor Works’ fund – an annual fund dedicated to enhancing stations with physical improvements to make them more accessible – passengers across the network will benefit from upgrades including step-free access, ramps, accessible toilets and double-height handrails.
Projects now completed include:
- A wide aisle ticket barrier at Battersea Park
- An accessible toilet at Carshalton
- Automatic door entry to the ticket offices at Hertford North and Rye
- A new Oyster reader on platform 1 at Streatham
- Increased passenger circulation space on the platforms at Winchmore Hill
In addition, work is planned on a number of other projects, set for completion by the end of 2019, including:
- Step-free access to the waiting room and improved ticket hall access at Seaford
- New customer information screens at Nunhead, Three Bridges, Burgess Hill and Hassocks
- New lift intercoms at East Croydon
This follows the recent announcement by The Department for Transport of funding under its Access for All scheme. Seven stations will receive funding to make them step-free and accessible to all by 2024. A further four stations where earlier bids for funding were initially deferred have now been given the green light.
Antony Merlyn, Accessibility Manager for GTR, said: “We know how important it is to make our network as accessible as possible, so the benefits of the railway are available for all. Our project teams have been working hard over the last year on schemes that will do just that. Plus, we have some exciting developments coming up that will continue to ensure our station access is constantly improving.”
- The addition of accessible toilets at Sandy, Shoreham, Queens Road Peckham and Hitchin
- A new ramp providing step-free platform access at Hadley Wood
- Tactile platform edges and the fitting of an induction loop at City Thameslink
- Step removal between the waiting rooms and platforms at Stevenage
Govia Thameslink Railway
Govia Thameslink Railway (GTR) operates Thameslink, Great Northern, Southern and Gatwick Express services as follows:
- Thameslink – cross-London services between Bedford/Peterborough/Cambridge and Brighton/Horsham/Littlehampton/East Grinstead, and between Luton/St Albans and Sutton/Wimbledon/Rainham; plus services between London and Sevenoaks
- Great Northern – services between London and Welwyn, Hertford, Peterborough, Cambridge and King’s Lynn
- Southern – services between London and the Sussex coast (Brighton, Worthing, Eastbourne, Bognor Regis, Hastings) and parts of Surrey, Kent and Hampshire (Ashford International, Southampton, Portsmouth)
- Gatwick Express – fast, non-stop direct services between Gatwick Airport and London Victoria