Southern has called again on the RMT to suspend its strike action after confirming that over 70% of its trains will run tomorrow (Monday 23 January) with a full service returning on Tuesday.
Southern says it completed at the start of the year its programme to put drivers in sole control of the operation of the train, including closing the doors, on nearly 80% of routes, transferring many conductors to the new on-board supervisor role focused exclusively on customer service. This means it can operate 10% more of its normal timetable than it has been able to on previous conductor strikes.
Angie Doll, Southern's Passenger Services Director, said:
"The RMT is continuing with industrial action that is now pointless. Because of the changes we've now finished making we're able to run 200 more services - a further 10% increase than previous RMT strike days - on more routes serving more passengers.
“Sadly, our passengers once again face disruption because of the RMT's intransigence and refusal to suspend action and engage in meaningful talks. We remain ready and willing to meet for face to face talks to end their dispute and move forward to deliver a better railway for passengers."
The following routes - previously suspended on an RMT conductor strike day - will now operate on Monday:
Eastbourne – Hastings
Chichester – Portsmouth and Southampton
Lewes – Haywards Heath
Coastway stations (including Bognor, Littlehampton, Eastbourne, Worthing and Hastings) will regain a direct service to London
Routes that previously finished early in the evening will also now run much later.
Southern advises people to check before they travel at www.southernrailway.com.