Adrian Choo sets the pace for radio interviews and for over-40 job seekers
Widespread downsizing and increasing use of technology is forcing workers over the age of 40 to look for a job. It can be a bewildering time, but thankfully there are people like Adrian Choo to help.
Appearing on Money FM 89.3, he shared tips for becoming more agile, how to avoid being sacked, and also how to write a CV that is fit for the times.
With a mix of practical, candid and sometimes hard-hitting advice, and passionate delivery, the CEO of Career Agility International instilled not just hope in his listeners, but also demonstrated the sort of media savvy everyone in the workforce needs to get ahead in the 2020s.
That's why Choo is our shortlisted candidate for Hong Bao Media Savvy Awards 2019 this week.
Scroll down to find out my reasons for nominating him in the category of Best Broadcast Interview and listen for yourself.
The Hong Bao Media Savvy Awards 2019 resumes with our third round of nominations in Singapore and Malaysia in the following categories:
- Best Broadcast Interview, in association with Meltwater
- Best Online Interview, in association with Shootsta
- Best Conference Presentation, in association with Dianomi
- Best Live Webcast, in association with The Streaming Company
We launched the Hong Bao Media Savvy Awards to recognise senior local leaders for their communications skills, and to showcase authentic and credible home-grown communicators.
These are shining examples for other local business leaders, and to build a culture of excellence in communication, to maximise the potential of Asian companies in the Asian Century.
Each week until November 30, 2019, we are shortlisting a local corporate figure who has demonstrated excellence in a media appearance for the Hong Bao Media Savvy Awards 2019.
Click on the link below to enter yourself or another Senior Business Leader.
Here are three observations of his performance:
- Descriptive Details – Choo gave several analogies, which helped his listeners put themselves in the shoes of those experiencing the same problem. He spoke with candour and hope.
- Examples – Choo gave many examples throughout the interview, which helped engage and inform his audience. For example, he related a story about a mature-aged job seeker who complained he had sent his resume to more than 200 companies but without receiving an offer.
- Rhetorical Questions – He asked questions repeatedly, and while radio listeners obviously couldn't reply, this created the sense he was having a discussion with the listener. It was a thought-provoking technique that built empathy for those who had been retrenched.
If a radio interview was a boxing match, Choo came out fighting and beat his opponents with his infectious energy and on-top-of-things replies.
If you know Adrian Choo, share this article with him and congratulate him on being nominated for the Hong Bao Media Savvy Awards 2019.
If you have what it takes, nominate yourself or your senior business leader for the Hong Bao Media Savvy Awards 2019!
Hong Bao Media provides media solutions for corporate and government clients in the Asia Pacific and Middle East.
Our three core businesses are:
- Media skills and executive presence training and coaching for senior business leaders
- Live webcast production from our green screen studios, or on-location
- Active investments in a portfolio of blockchain and fintech start-ups
We operate two Integrated Communications facilities, one in Singapore's Central Business District and another in Kuala Lumpur's Central Business District. These consist of green screen television studios for on-camera recordings and webcasts, adjoining training facilities for small groups of senior executives.