Press release -
Friday night is walking night!
Get your boots on and enjoy a new series of Friday Evening Countryside Walks led by Greenmount Village Community Walking Group.
Organised in conjunction with Bury Council Sport and Activity Service, these four-mile circular walks start at 6.15pm and finish at 8.30pm.
- 25 June:Greenmount/Old Kays/Two Brooks. Start/finish: opposite the Hub Café, Greenmount
- 2 July: Greenmount/Redisher Wood, Peel Tower. Meet on green space behind Greenmount Church
- 9 July:Nuttall Park, Grants Tower. Meet at Nuttall Park
- 16 July:Jumbles, Turton Tower, Chapeltown. Meet at Jumbles car park
- 23 July:Kirklees Valley, Summerseat, Woodhey. Meet opposite the Hub Café, Greenmount.
- 30 July:Helmshore, Grane Valley, Mary’s Wood. Meet at Helmshore Textile Museum car park.
- 6 Aug: Bradshaw Valley, Affetside. Meet at Jumbles car park
- 13 Aug:Hawkshaw, Roger Worthington’s Grave. Meet on the green space behind Greenmount Church.
- 20 Aug:Turton Tower/Cheetham Close/Egerton. Meet at Turton Tower car park.
The Greenmount group is also running a number of Monday and Wednesday walks: short ones (about six miles) and longer walks of nearer 12 miles.
The short walks take place on 21 June, 12 July and 9 August, and take in areas including Peel Tower, Affetside, Higher Stubbins and Holcombe Brook.
The longer walks will be on 23 June, 5 July, 21 July and 2 August, and walkers will visit locations including Scout Moor, Owd Betts, Helmshore and Haslingden, and to Grants Tower and Stone Fold.
The series includes a linear walk on 11 August along the first section of the Saxon Pilgrims’ Way from Whalley to Haslingden.
For more information on all these walks, www.westpennineway.org
Walkers are advised to wear appropriate outdoor clothing and hiking boots, and rain will not stop play! The walks include stiles and steep inclines, and no dogs are allowed.
To keep everyone safe, walkers are also asked to give their name, number, and emergency contact to the walk leader, and any medical information that the leader needs to be aware of.
Press release issued: 7 June 2021.