Heavy snow forecast for the East of England has led Network Rail, which owns and operates the tracks, signals and power infrastructure of the railway, to place restrictions on the services Great Northern can run tonight north of Royston, towards Cambridge and King’s Lynn. This will help keep passenger services running as best as possible.
Southern and Thameslink are operating a normal service. There will be some alterations in advance to the Uckfield services but no more are currently planned. For more information, visit www.southernrailway.com and www.thameslinkrailway.com.
The changes to Great Northern services are as follows:
A spokesperson for Great Northern, which is operated by Govia Thameslink Railway, said: “We urge passengers travelling to and from stations north of Royston on our Cambridge and King’s Lynn routes to check before they travel and start their journeys earlier. Do not rely on the last trains home to this area which will leave earlier and will be very busy.
“The Peterborough route and Hertford suburban services are unaffected but there are also likely to be short notice alterations and cancellations due to drivers and trains being out of position for the normal service. We have full details on our website www.greatnorthernrail.com.”
For more information, visit www.greatnorthernrail.com.
The detail for Great Northern:
Tonight, Monday 26 February
Late night trains from King’s Cross to stations north of Royston towards Cambridge and King’s Lynn will be altered as follows:
- 22:14 King’s Cross to King’s Lynn: this is the last train to King’s Lynn
- 22:44 King’s Cross – Ely: terminates early, at Cambridge (this is a non-stopping service)
- 22:52 King’s Cross – Cambridge will run as normal: This will be our last direct stopping service of the evening north of Royston
- 23:04 King’s Cross – Cambridge: terminates early, at Royston
- 23:14 King’s Cross to King’s Lynn: terminates early, at Cambridge
- 23:44 King’s Cross – Cambridge: terminates early, at Royston
- 00:04 King’s Cross – Cambridge: terminates early, at Royston
Please be aware last trains will be very busy and you should travel earlier if possible.
Tuesday, 27 February
Great Northern will not be allowed to run passenger services north of Royston until 06:00.
The following changes will apply:
- 04:54 King’s Lynn to King’s Cross: cancelled
- 04:54 Greater Anglia service from King’s Lynn: cancelled
- 05:51 King’s Lynn to King’s Cross: will run at 06:00
- 05:14 Cambridge to King’s Cross: starts from Royston
- 05:35 Cambridge to King’s Cross: starts from Royston
- 06:14 Cambridge – King’s Cross: cancelled
Other services in the peak between King’s Lynn and Cambridge will run hourly instead of half hourly.
Throughout the day, the Cambridge Flyers between King’s Cross and Ely (XX14 from KGX and XX58 from Ely) will be cancelled.
There is likely to be an early close-down of services north of Royston on Tuesday, 27 February, possibly earlier than Monday, 26 February. Great Northern will update its website tomorrow.