Skip to content
Registering for self-employment and Self Assessment

Blog post -

Registering for self-employment and Self Assessment

Thinking of setting up your own business or considering self-employment? Follow HM Revenue and Customs’ simple, 10-step guide to setting up as a sole trader.

1. Getting started: registering as self employed

If you are newly self-employed, or are just starting up your own business you will need to let HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) know by registering for business taxes. You'll be asked for information about yourself and your business/ self employment. HMRC will then set up tax records for you using the information you provide. You will need to have the following to hand:
Your National Insurance number. In most cases you'll already have this, but if you haven't worked in the United Kingdom before you'll need to get one. Your contact details (and the contact details of your business if you've started self-employment) The date your circumstances changed PAYE information if you have people working for you

2. Registering for Self Assessment online

A Self Assessment (SA) online account will be set up automatically for you at the point of registering as self employed. While filing online is not compulsory (paper returns are still acceptable), there are many advantages – including automatic calculations, faster processing and later deadlines.

3. Receiving your Unique Tax Reference number

Once you've registered for Self Assessment, HMRC will set up your records and send you a letter with a 10-digit reference, called a Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR). You should keep your Unique Taxpayer Reference in a safe place as it will be needed for SA purposes and in all subsequent correspondence you may have with us.

4. Other things to consider…

If you're self-employed as a sole trader or a business partner, you'll usually need to arrange to pay your Class 2 National Insurance contributions straight away too. You may also need to register for VAT and the Construction Industry Scheme (see contacts below for more information).

5. Keeping a hold of your records

Once you’ve registered as self-employed, you will need to keep business records such as your accounts, evidence of tax that's been paid and other records relating to income and outgoings. You'll need these to help you complete your tax return or to answer any questions from HMRC about a return you've completed. Important documents to retain include: cashbooks, invoices, mileage records, bank statements, receipts for purchases and your P60s if you are also employed. Records can be kept either on paper or computer. If done electronically, then keep a back-up. As a rule, records should be kept for a minimum of six years.

6. Keeping tabs on your expenses

If you're self-employed you usually have various running costs and expenses associated with your business. You can take these costs and expenses away from your business income to work out your profit, and produce accounts. You may also be able to get capital allowances for certain other costs, like machinery, which will also reduce your taxable profits. Common expenses you can claim for include: accountancy services, business bank charges, phone and internet charges, safety wear and utility costs for business use.

7. Sending your first tax return

If you are self-employed, you are responsible for paying your own tax and National Insurance (NI) contributions and must complete a Self Assessment tax form each year.

You'll get a letter, usually in April, telling you when you need to send your first tax return. HMRC might get in touch earlier if you need to send a tax return for a previous tax year. If you don't receive a letter or a tax return, you should contact HMRC.

8. Important deadlines for registering as self-employed

It's best if you register with HMRC as soon as your circumstances change. The latest you should register is by 5 October after the end of the tax year for which you need a tax return.

9. Important deadlines for tax returns


For the 2011 to 2012 tax year (which ended 5 April 2012) your main deadlines are:

paper tax returns – ended on midnight 31 October 2012 online tax returns – by midnight 31 January 2013 final payment of any tax due ­– by midnight 31 January 2013


For the 2012 to 2013 tax year (which ends 5 April 2013) your main deadlines are:

paper tax returns – by midnight 31 October 2013 online tax returns – by midnight 31 January 2014 final payment of any tax due ­­– by midnight 31 January 2014 There are some exceptions to these deadlines. For further information visit: . If your tax return or payment is late you will have to pay a penalty.

10. Filing subsequent returns

For the following year’s payments HMRC will estimate how much you owe based on the tax you paid in the first year. These estimates are split into two separate payments each year: on 31 January when you send in the previous year’s return, and 31 July. A further payment or a repayment may be due based on your final return for the year.

For further more information visit our website




HMRC Press Office

HMRC Press Office

Press contact 03000 585 018

Related content

HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) is the UK’s tax authority

HMRC is responsible for making sure that the money is available to fund the UK’s public services and for helping families and individuals with targeted financial support.

HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC)

100 Parliament St
SW1A 2BQ London