Press release -
West Coast main line flood repairs to impact London Euston trains
Rail passengers are being warned of changes to trains in and out of London Euston so urgent repairs can take place after severe flash flooding.
The deluge in the capital on Monday 12 July caused an electricity substation to catch fire disabling London Overground services to Watford.
Urgent repairs need to take place to pump away any remaining standing water and fix cables damaged in the electrical fire.
The work means all lines in and out of London Euston must be closed between 11pm on Wednesday 14 July and 6am on Thursday 15 July. Passengers are being asked to travel early on Wednesday night.
The urgent repairs will impact Avanti West Coast, London Northwestern Railway, Caledonian Sleeper and London Overground passengers at the end of tomorrow and first thing on Thursday morning.
Bus replacement services will be in place to keep passengers on the move and people are being urged to check www.nationalrail.co.uk for the latest information.
James Dean, Network Rail’s West Coast South route director, said: “I’m sorry that your journeys have been disrupted this week. Our engineers will be making critical repairs on Wednesday night.
"The floods made the railway look like a swimming pool, but with 750 volts of electricity running through it. We’ve had to make the site safe before going in and pumping away the remaining flood water and repairing the fire damage.”
For more information on how Network Rail deals with flooding visit: https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-the-railway/looking-after-the-railway/delays-explained/flooding/
Notes to Editors
- Passengers are advised to travel early on Wednesday night.
- The last London Northwestern Railway service to go into Euston will be the 21:10 from Northampton
- The last Avanti West Coast services to arrive into Euston will be the
- 16:52 from Edinburgh, leaving at
- 21:10 from New Birmingham New Street
- 20:15 from Manchester Piccadilly
- 19:47 from Liverpool Lime Street
Network Rail press office - North West & Central Region
0330 854 0100
About West Midlands Trains
For further information on this release, call our press office on 03300 955150 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
West Midlands Trains operates both West Midlands Railway and London Northwestern Railway services.
- London Northwestern Railway services operate between Liverpool and Birmingham, and on the West Coast Main Line to and from London Euston.
- West Midlands Railway services operate to destinations across the West Midlands via Birmingham New Street and Birmingham Snow Hill.
If you have been sent this press release, this is because we believe this to be of interest to you.
To sign up for all future releases, visit our newsroom and subscribe to our updates. You can unsubscribe to our releases at any time.