Press release -
New coffee from the next generation of coffee farmers
The coffee farmers of the world are getting older. At the same time, fewer young people see a future in coffee, which is threatening access to good coffee in the future. Löfbergs wants to change this with its initiative, Next Generation Coffee. The family-owned coffee roaster is now presenting a new coffee from the next generation of coffee farmers.
The result is called Next Generation Coffee Colombia Brazil Dark Roast, a dark roast and full-bodied coffee with notes of dark chocolate. The beans come from young coffee farmers in Antioquia in the north-west part of Colombia, combined with carefully selected Arabica beans from Brazil. The coffee is Fairtrade labelled.
Tastes even better
On the package of Löfbergs’s new coffee is a photo of Emilio Gonzales, one of the participants in Löfbergs’s initiative Next Generation Coffee. An initiative that strengthens the development opportunities of young coffee farmers.
– It is about increasing the knowledge on sustainable farming methods that improve quality, productivity and proceeds. It makes it more attractive to farm coffee. At the same time, we secure the access to good coffee in the future, says Martin Löfberg, Purchasing Director at Löfbergs.
Martin Löfberg regularly travels to the producing countries to follow the development. He has visited Emilio at his home in a mountain village just outside of Medellín, in northwest Colombia.
– I could see that Emilio has uses his new knowledge in the best way possible and that he enjoyes his life as a coffee farmer. That makes the coffee taste even better, says Martin Löfberg.
For more information:
Anders Thorén, Media Relations Manager, Löfbergs, +46 703 55 64 22, firstname.lastname@example.org
Facts about Emilio Gonzales
- Successful young coffee farmer in Antioquia in the north-west part of Colombia
- Planned to move into town, but did chose to take over his father's coffee farm
- Work hard to improve the quality of their coffee, including growing his own coffee plants
- Want to buy more land to grow even more coffee
- One of the participants in Next Generation Coffee - Löfbergs's initiative that strengthens the development possibilities of young coffee farmers
- Deliver beans to Löfbergs’s new dark-roasted coffee
Facts about Next Generation Coffee
- An initiative that strengthens the development possibilities of young coffee farmers
- The participants are supported through education and direct trade
- Focus on increasing productivity and quality to make the farmers earn more money
- The initiative aims at young farmers in Kenya, Tanzania and Colombia
- Löfbergs Next Generation Coffee is available as filter coffee and whole beans
The coffee roaster Löfbergs is a Swedish Family Business founded in 1906. We are 340 coffee lovers operating in Northern Europe and Canada, sharing the passion for taste, trends and sustainability. We have a turnover of SEK 1.9 billion and is one of the world's largest purchasers of organic and Fairtrade-labeled coffee. Löfbergs is a part of the Löfbergs Coffee Group who also owns the brands Crema, Green Cup, Kobbs, Percol, Peter Larsen Kaffe and SuperBonobo. Website